Shalane Flanagan was in tears as she won the 2017 NYC Marathon today, as this was her 10th marathon. Get to know more about Flanagan, her win, and her backstory in our 5 Fast Facts below.
1. Flanagan Is the First American Winner In 40 Years
This is the moment that I’ve dreamed of since I was a little girl … I just wanted to honor all of the people that have given their time to me to help me stand here today.
2. She And Her Husband Are Foster Parents of Runners
3. An Injury Kept Her From Participating in the Rio Olympics
4. Flanagan’s Mother Is a Former Marathon World Record Holder
5. She Beat Three-Time Winner Mary Keitany Who Came In Second Place